Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Life As I Know It (Part 1)

Well here it is finally, Part 1-the first 25, of my 100. These are a list of 100 things that were worth doing in my life and reflecting upon them. I also hope these events are those that pop up should my life flash before my eyes. Here's my partial list! And, these are definitely in no particular order. I was tagged by my daughter, Joi, and challenged to do this and as I promised in an earlier blog, here goes...

  1. Riding with my dad on his motorcycle when I was young (not sure how old, maybe 6th or 7th grade), sitting in front of him and him scaring me half to death by letting go and letting me steer!
  2. Watching my daughter being born and not realizing at that time just how much I would love that little girl!
  3. Watching my mom go down the "Big Slide" by Grants store (yes, I am old) and when she got to the end and it should have stopped her, she just kept on going out into the parking lot! We all laughed our butts off, but I don't think she thought it was as funny as we did.
  4. Singing songs with my dad and mom on trips, especially the trip to California and all the way there and back we sang, "I Wanna Go Home", "Abilene" "Six Days on the Road" and "Cottonfields Back Home".
  5. Seeing Disneyland, in California, for the first time and getting my Mickey Mouse ears with my name embroidered on the back. (Remember the Mickey Mouse Club with Annette Funicello!)
  6. Swimming with the Dolphins the first time in Panama City Beach, WOW!
  7. Getting my first car at my 16th birthday party and it had a big red bow on the hood. It was a 1968 Black Barracuda with black interior, hemi head hookups, Big Daddy Glassback "LOUD" mufflers, a 383 engine, and did I mention...IT WAS A down right FAST MOVING MACHINE...whew! When you floored it, it played like the Roadrunner, wound up, hesitated and "beep beep" away it flew!
  8. Winning $1,000 from WIL 92.3 and purchasing a package trip to Hawaii for $499 (can you believe the price) for 6 days, 5 nights motel & round trip airfare and going with Aunt Dooie.
  9. Trying to surf at Waikiki Beach and getting up!, only to jump off since I didn't know how to steer the board or where the brakes were. OH, did I say, I GOT UP!
  10. Getting to go to a Kelly Clarkson/Reba McIntire concert, and who better to go with, MOM & JOI!
  11. The many many trips to Aunt Dooie's cabin in Tennessee and sharing the time with my cousin Christy, running down the hill to the boat dock, boat riding, swimming, checking the fish lines with Uncle Shelta in the a.m. when it was still dark and him answering my questions for hours (especially when he tried to point out the little dipper in the sky, I know at least a 1,000 times...and I NEVER DID SEE IT! Not even to this day have I picked it out), eating fish...well at least to me it was...I ate Aunt Dooie's hush puppies!
  12. Learning how to swim, via my dad fastening me in a life jacket and pitching over the side of the boat! This encountered much protest from my Aunt Dooie and Aunt Elva might I add. But I showed him, I got to where when the boat slowed down, they had to keep a close eye on me, because I got to where I would then just jump out of the boat!
  13. Watching Joi play on a basketball team.
  14. Getting up on Saturday mornings when I was little, finding where my clothes had been laid out for me by my mom, and where she left me a quarter for the corner store to buy an entire sack of penny candy and walking up to Aunt Dooie's for the rest of the day until mom got off work.
  15. Taking Emily Douglas with us to Panama City Beach and watching her and Joi out in the water talking, giggling and planning their futures.
  16. Seeing the rest stop area in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Don't knock it until you see it! It is on the Colorado River and I could have stayed at that spot for several days, much to my family's dismay.
  17. Watching my dad fall on the slippery rocks in the river down by Gatlinburg, after he just got done yelling at me and Joi to be careful. He was in his jeans, and Joi and I cracked up! (just a side note---he did NOT get hurt.)
  18. Hearing "I Love You" the first time, from Tom laying on a blanket, by the lake, in Belle, MO, where we were visiting his mom and Leroy where they lived back then.
  19. Watching Joi, David, Jessica Worthen, and others at the donkey basketball game, their senior year. This was the first one I had ever seen and it was hysterical. Mom and Betty Brooks were laughing so hard, they were just as funny as the game.
  20. Watching Cindy Brooks, which was my best friend back then, play softball with Petrillo's Team.
  21. Joi's surprise 16th birthday party to Chicago! Mom and I took, Joi, Lauren Miller, Emily Douglas and Rachel Means to Joliet, stayed at Aunt Alice's house the 1st night, then Aunt Alice, Cathy and Sammy joined all of us the next 2 days in Chicago, for sunning at the beach, shopping the Million Dollar Mile (not sure of name), the Navy Pier, dinner at DeBevec's, the harrowing taxi ride, and Shed's Aquarium, not to mention the sweet deal of a room the girls had (compliments of Cathy)!
  22. My first time getting up on water skies and finding out that they were trick skies at that. I never could make it up on normal ones.
  23. Being at my daughter's wedding on Makena Cove, in Maui, Hawaii, with both entire immediate families and numerous friends in attendance! Watching her include her dad, my dad and Tom to walk her down the aisle.
  24. Seeing my daughter "WAVE" in the homecoming parade! (inside joke)
  25. Getting married to Tom, on Panama City Beach, Florida, 9-27-00. This being a couple of days after one hurricane and a couple days before a new one was coming.

Whew, done with the first 25! Stay tuned, I will post the 2nd part soon.

1 comment:

Joi said...

These are great, mom. Can't wait to read the rest. ♥ you.